*I was compensated for this post by SDA with the understanding that the opinions expressed would be all mine, without bias.
We have reached that blessed stage in my daughter’s homeschooling journey where she can start having some independence when it comes to her homeschool curriculum. She can now have the opportunity to explore a subject on her own and have the opportunity to choose some of her topics of study.
That doesn’t mean that she has no parameters or that she is stuck in a book in some corner of the house. It means that we can find subjects and ways of learning that are best suited for her and use that to foster independence.
Standard Deviants Accelerate Homeschool Curriculum
One of the resources we have found that has worked out wonderfully is online homeschool curriculum.
This fall, we were introduced to Standard Deviants Accelerate (SDA), an online curriculum company that has been producing educational videos and curriculum for 20 years. Their subscription based program has a wide range of subjects for upper elementary through high school.
SDA has these impressive features:
- 14 courses available for homeschooled students, including 5 AP courses
- Middle and high school course options
- Condensed, supplemental curriculum to be used as review or reinforcement of another curriculum or as the backbone of a curriculum you put together
- Courses are in entertaining video formats that can be accessed 24/7
- Includes quizzes, review activities, and writing assignments
- Encourages critical thinking
- Most assignments are graded by the program
- Online progress reports
- Instructional videos for parents
- Great Customer Service
SDA Benefits For Homeschooling Middle School
If you have a middle schooler, you know the joy and the challenges this age brings. Choosing the right homeschool curriculum can even the road for both student and parent.
Standard Deviant Accelerate was a good addition to our homeschool curriculum this year. It filled 2 needs in my daughter’s education at this stage in the journey – supplemental help with her core curriculum and an interesting elective.
My daughter started algebra this fall and needed some extra help and support. SDA algebra curriculum filled that gap. SDA lessons taught the same thing that her core math curriculum was teaching, but in a different way. Sometimes that’s all a student needs to make the light come on.
Now that she is in middle school, she gets to choose an elective course or two that interests her. She is a competitive figure skater and the subject of nutrition keeps coming up from her coach, so she thought that she might study nutrition so she can make better choices. SDA has a great, comprehensive nutrition course. We just add some library books and you tube videos to dig deeper.
Not only are the SDA courses filling gaps, they are doing it in a way that my daughter enjoys. How?
- Videos are fast-paced and entertaining
- Transcripts of the videos are available to read along or print for later review
- Self-paced lessons
- Online note-taking available
- Can be done on a computer or tablet
- Curriculum is mobile (she can take it where ever there is wi-fi!)
- Allows student to be independent, but provides structure
She can take SDA courses at the pace we decide on. If she gets stuck, I am here to help, but mostly, I just look at her progress report to see her quiz grades and grade her writing assignments. I can record those in the program, so I will be able to give her a final course grade.
I am already looking at SDA’s other courses for high school next year. We can choose from math, sciences, history, government, and english.
How To Get Started With Standard Deviants Accelerate
Believe it or not, if you act before November 15th, you can get 6 months of Standard Deviants Accelerate FREE!!! I kid you not.
That’s FULL access to all 14 homeschool subjects FREE!!
That’s all the lessons, quizzes, reviews, writing assignments, and grading FREE!!!