This post contains affiliate links.
Welcome to The Lab Report, sponsored by Apologia Science. This week, we are doing a static electricity experiment. You have probably experienced static electricity at work when you have walked across a carpeted area in the winter and then touched a door knob or someone else creating a shock you can feel, see and hear.
What is happening? The shock is caused by a build up of negative electrons gathered off of the carpeting. When you touch something with a weaker or positive charge, the transfer of electrons caused a static electrical shock.
Let’s look at another, less painful, way to experiment with static electricity. Grab a balloon, an aluminum can, and tissue paper and try this at home!
You can check out previous Lab Reports HERE.
Try this static electricity experiment at home. Do you have different results if you change the size of the balloon, the length of hair, the size or weight of the can? Let us know!
Try this fun variation of the static electricity experiment…