*This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for supporting The Homeschool Scientist.
If you read last week’s post about Easing Into The New Homeschool Year, you learned that we don’t jump into the school year with both feet. We take a couple weeks to do some fun learning activities or get deep into a subject the kids have really been wanting to study. We try to make the start of the school year exciting and fun. To start the school year out right for my son, he thought a turtle unit study was in order.
We started with the animal report printable and used various resources to fill in the blanks. Here are some of the resources we used….
Turtle Unit Study Links
- You Tube – There are so many great turtle videos available. Our kids never get tired of seeing baby sea turtles emerge from their nest and race to the ocean.
- Sea Turtle Study Links – Last year, I posted this as we were preparing to take a vacation to Gulf Shores and hopefully, see sea turtle nesting sites. (and we did!) It has lots of great links for you to learn more about sea turtles.
- Turtles young reader – This is a great paperback or Kindle reader with lots of great illustrations and turtle information.
- Voyage of the Turtle– This is on my reading list. Written for high school and adult readers, the author details the perils facing sea turtles in the wild and why they are threatened or endangered.
- Reptiles of North America – If you know me, you know I can’t resist a guide book!
- The creek beside our house – There is a snapping turtle that lives in the creek beside our house. We haven’t seen him in a month or so. We’re going searching for him tomorrow. Wish us luck!!
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources – The Illinois DNR has a turtle fact page that also contains information about all the different species of turtles that live in Illinois.
- A Place For Turtles – Great turtle unit study resources from Growing With Science blog.
- Reptile Study Ideas post – Stef Layton from Quality Time Matters shared a guest post yesterday full of Reptile Study Ideas and free reptile printables that would be great for a turtle study.
- Sea Turtle Art – fun art project that would work with any type of turtle
- Turtle Pinterest Board
Turtles are a great way to study reptiles for those who are kind of creeped out by the thought of snakes and lizards. Who doesn’t like a cute, little turtle?