I can’t believe it. We are starting our first year of homeschooling high school.When we started 7 years ago, I never gave a thought about credits and graduation requirements. We’ve just been blissfully learning along.
So, I did panic a little when I realized that I now need to map out our next four years to make sure we meet all the requirements. I panicked a bit more when I realized my daughter needed 2 years of a foreign language!
Since I don’t speak a foreign language, I was at a loss about what we were going to do. I had heard about Rosetta Stone from other homeschool parents and from adult friends who needed to learn another language for work. So, I jumped at the opportunity to review the Rosetta Stone homeschool spanish curriculum. (I was compensated for my time and an honest review.) I wanted to give it a try.
My daughter chose Spanish because of the growing Spanish speaking population in our area and around the country. We thought it would something that would be beneficial to her in the future. She’s been using the curriculum for about a month, so we are getting good feel for it. So far, we both really like it!
Why She Likes Rosetta Stone
1. It’s immersion learning. Her Rosetta Stone language lessons are totally in Spanish from the beginning. Even the words being spoken are not given an English translation. The words are given a picture to associate it with. This makes her think in Spanish, not just English.
2. Older material is reviewed often. Instead of just memorizing some words in a unit and moving on to something else, Rosetta Stone goes back and reviews older material. This keeps those words and phrases fresh in her mind. Use it or lose it holds true in languages.
3. Works on pronunciation. Most foreign language curriculum are a lot of copying words over and over until you memorize them. That’s great if you are only going to be writing in that language. What about speaking?
If you can’t say the word correctly, communication is going to be a problem. Rosetta Stone works on pronunciation and conversation skills, as well as writing. You get the total package.
4. She enjoys it. I never have to tell her to do her Spanish. It is one of the first subjects she goes to every school day. That says a lot right there.
5. It’s all in one box. My daughter has a tendency to misplace things, so the fact that her Rosetta Stone curriculum comes in one box is awesome. She keeps everything nice and neat and in one place. This is huge for her.
Why I Like Rosetta Stone
1. Rosetta Stone lets the student be an independent learner. The program comes with a full lesson plan lined out for each day. My daughter knows what she should be doing each day. There’s no guess work on her part and no planning on mine.
2. It keeps track of progress and grades. I can check anytime to see my daughter’s progress and how well she is learning the material. Each time she completes a lesson, that lesson is marked checked on the main screen. If I hover over a checked lesson it shows me the grade she earned for that lesson.
3. The program contains all she needs to learn Spanish. The Rosetta Stone homeschool language curriculum is custom made for homeschool students. Even if you can’t speak the language, your child will have everything they need to learn. The Rosetta Stone box contains:
- Application CD (For use by up to 5 students on 2 computers)
- Language CD
- Audio Companion CD
- User’s Guide – Discusses the basics of the Rosetta Stone program
- Parent’s Guide – Aids the parent in lesson planning, tracking student progress, and effectively using Rosetta Stone Homeschool Version 3 in a homeschool environment
- Quick Start Activation Card
- Supplemental Education Materials CD includes printable files for:
- Table of contents
- Scripts for each lesson
- An index to all words in the program
4. She is learning.
5. She is enjoying it.
Learn More About Rosetta Stone Homeschool Language Curriculum
I am excited that we found a homeschool language curriculum that teaches our daughter to read, think, and write in Spanish. The fact that she enjoys it is a bonus! Try Rosetta Stone Homeschool Language Curriculum for yourself.