Easy Activities For All Ages
When people think of science, they often think of laboratories, lab coats, and microscopes. The truth is science is everywhere and so much more than chemicals and experiments. In fact, one of the best ways to learn about science is to take the short trip to the backyard.
The backyard offers an opportunity to observe and study animals, plants, weather, soil, rocks, and more! Think of it as your family’s private laboratory and observatory where the science comes to you. It is a safe place to explore, observe, and test.
Use the Backyard Science ebook as a launching pad into the world of science. Catch bugs, build bird feeders, and keep track of rainfall totals. Let your kids see how much fun science can be.
- Eight chapters of backyard science lessons and activities
- Lessons geared toward K-8th grade that could be easily adapted for older students
- Hands-on backyard activities for all ages
- Printable worksheets
- Links to additional resources and information
- Simple black and white lesson and printable pages to save you printer ink
- PDF download emailed to your inbox
What can you learn about in your backyard?
Insects And Plants
- Learn about bees and their vital role in nature
- Learn about insects that hide in wet, dark places in our backyard
- Learn the basics of gardening and how to plant a garden no matter the size of your yard
Birds And Animals
- Learn to attract birds to your backyard and learn to identify them
- Be a detective and find out what animals visit your yard when you aren't looking
- Discover the tiniest creatures in your yard
- Learn how to observe and record changes in the weather
- Learn why weather observations are important
- Create your own backyard weather station